…and quite a special one. This is Gliophorus reginae or the Jubilee Waxcap.
Why is it special?
The Jubilee Waxcap was only recognized as a separate species in 2013. There are very few records of it in Wales, so it was very exciting to find it here on the Trust.
I found this specimen on the Trust’s Cae Top on 16th November 2019. Using iRecord, I reported this find, where it will add to the important bank of knowledge the Welsh wildlife recording centers are building about wildlife in Wales.
Do you want to know what people are finding in your “milltir sgwar*”?
Have a look at the website Aderyn. Here you can search and find out what species have been seen near your house, school or workplace.
*”Fy Milltir Sgwar” – welsh, lit. “my square mile”, referring to your patch or stamping ground.
Our next Volunteer Workday will be on Saturday 2nd November.
All are welcome to our volunteer workdays. The day runs from about 10am – 4pm, with a good mix of work, chat, fun and food! Please bring a dish to share for lunch and suitable work clothes.
In September we had a fantastic weekend putting all the “layers” onto the Roundhouse roof (see pictures below).
In November, we will be installing a French drain around the Roundhouse.
A French Drain is a trench filled with gravel and a perforated pipe that will redirect surface water and runoff from the roof away from the Roundhouse. We’ll also have 100 Grape Hyacinth bulbs to plant into the green roof.
Our following Volunteer Workday will be Sunday 8th December.
Plans are not fully fixed yet. We will probably be carrying out repairs on various fences and gateways. We will be using sustainably sourced Chestnut fence posts, as well as some Laburnum fence posts sourced from our own hedges.
Over 5 days, Jonathan Schreiber (center) led us through the process of building a Hugh Piggott designed 3F wind turbine.
There was excitement, learning, laughter, work, good food and finally, the satisfaction of seeing the turbine the group had built take to the wind.
The build was really special.
We were not merely assembling a collection of ready made parts – we built the turbine from scratch. This was real hands-on engineering, and incredibly empowering!
Each part was made from basic materials, before being combined to create the working turbine. Planks of wood were sawn, chiseled and planed into turbine blades.
Copper wire and magnets made the stator and magnet rotors. Much careful thought and planning went into each stage to ensure that the component parts were put together correctly.
The stator and magnet rotors were cast in resin, then combined with a van rear-wheel hub to form the generator. The main body of the turbine was welded together from steel pipe and a tail cut from plywood.
On the last day the parts were painted, tested and carefully assembled before being taken out into the field for installation. A large frog hopped onto one of the blades for a quick look before all was ready for lifting up into the wind.
A wealth of information on Hugh Piggott turbines can be found on his website. Jonathan helps people build small wind turbines across Europe and beyond. More information can be found on his website.
More photos and videos of the build can be found on Instagram.
Many thanks to all the people who put time and energy into this project.